Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Mapped!

Mapped!
This is not connected to the ongoing discussion on the barkatpura blog rather something which I got interested in ‘how mapping is an intrinsically political act’.
I was intrigued by maps when Sashi gave me this book ‘the map that changed the world’ (by the way I still have the book at home with me shall return it when I come) and then I read this book ‘seeing like a state’ which speaks about how maps were created to control people and tax them. Also how maps are made to claim and or appropriate land and resources and sometimes misread.

This is one of my favorite maps because unlike all the maps I learnt geography from America is not on top of the world and Europe is not magnified.
http://www.wall-maps.com/World/UpsideDownWorldMap.htm

1 Comments:

At 10:31 pm, Blogger anita said...

hey lalita,
I would like to read that...could you direct me to where I could find it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home